The 2nd fail safe feature we added was the High/Low flash warning which notifies you with a rapid flash to warn you of voltage issues. The low function warning kicks on at 10V while the high voltage flashes at 17.5V. These warnings are essential and key to pay attention to for those running amplifier(s) or multiple batteries to protect you from potential damage due to under voltage or voltage spikes. These features will allow you to make quick decisions that may save your expensive equipment.
Some of you may be asking, "But why not a new design SQ?" Simple answer. We left the design the same to allow for an easy swap out of those older model unmentionables. This makes for an inexpensive upgrade with no extra work involved other than pulling out the old one and replacing it with the new VM-1! This gauge is guaranteed to save you time and money and offers multiple mounting options.
- 12 bit ADC (2x faster than others like it on the market)
- 24 readings every .4 seconds
- "Lo" voltage warning flash at 10.0V
- "High" voltage warning at 17.5V
- Green back lit LED
- Direct replacement of others in the market
- 3 wire hook-up for fast, easy installs
- Car, boat, atv, and camper battery health
- See amplifier and accessory voltage
- Small alien space craft
- Power Wheels
- R/C Cars, airplanes and boats
- Virtually anything that runs off DC!
1. Mounting Options
- Option 1: Secure the VM-1 by the (2) mounting holes located under the front cover.
- Option 2: Use double sided tape. Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, wipe dry then apply
- Option 3: You can custom flush mount your SQ VM-1 by adding two thin strips of double sided tape vertically to the front cover and back mounting for a custom, flush mount look.
We suggest wiring this directly to your car audio amplifier and not to your battery so you can see the voltage at the amplifier and not at the battery however wiring to the battery for battery voltage is also an option. This gauge can be mounted multiple ways such as surface mounting with double sided tape or screws or flush mounted by tracing around the housing and cutting out the area you are working on for a more clean look. This gauge uses three wires Red (12V Constant), Black (12V Ground), and Blue (12V Trigger) to operate.
Amplifier Install: Red will connect to the positive input on your amplifier, Black on the ground and the Blue to the remote on.
Battery Install/Stereo Harness: If you choose to wire this to your battery wire Red to the positive terminal, Black to the negative terminal and Blue to your remote turn on wire behind the dash (usually blue) so that the VM-1 kicks on with Accessory on. For direct connection to the stereo harness find your vehicles harness specifications to find a positive, negative, and remote (accessory) wire. NOTE: If you connect the Blue directly to your battery it will stay on all the time!
3. Adjust the voltage of the VM-1 to match your vehicle's voltage
For the most precise and accurate measurements this step is essential but can be skipped. After your gauge is installed use a Digital Multi Meter to test the voltage at your battery or amplifier. Using a small Phillips/Flat head screwdriver adjust the pot (located above the LED display under the front cover) to match the reading from your Digital Multi meter.
- Clockwise - Voltage decrease
- Counterclockwise - Voltage increase
CONTINUED OPERATION ON LOW VOLTAGE COULD DAMAGE YOUR AMPLIFIER OR COMPONENTS